Monday 19 March 2012

Raspberry and Coconut Slice

Are you a lover of good old fashioned slices?  I remember as a child visiting my beloved Grandmother and always finding her kitchen filled with an array of cake and biscuit tins all filled with a myriad of delectable treats for us to share.  One of her absolute all time *go to* recipes was this one that I will share with you today for "Raspberry and Coconut Slice.

I am yet to ever serve it to a guest that doesn't like it and beg me for the recipe.  I love it because it is nice and easy, very quick to make and is made from ingredients that I always have on hand.

Raspberry jam coconut slice

Makes
20 pieces

Ingredients

  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 125g butter, chilled, cubed
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 3/4 cup raspberry jam
  • 2 cups desiccated coconut

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a 3cm deep, 24cm x 29.5cm (base) lamington pan.
  2. Process flour, 1/2 cup sugar and butter to resemble breadcrumbs. Add 1 egg and vanilla. Process to form a dough.
  3. Press dough into base of prepared pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until light golden. Spread jam over warm base.
  4. Whisk remaining eggs and remaining 1/2 cup sugar together. Stir in coconut. Spread over jam. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden. Cool completely in pan. Cut into pieces. Serve

    This slice will keep well in a sealed tin for several days BUT it is my experience that there isn't much chance of that happening as it will be devoured long before then!

    If you have any other family favourite slice recipes that you would like to share with the group please contact me and we will arrange it.  I hope if you have never tried this recipe before that you give it a go and that you enjoy as much as we do in this house.

3 comments:

  1. I sprinkled some slivered almonds over the top of my slice before I put it back in the oven the second time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we lurrve this slice in our house! my hubby and his brother generally dont leave it long enough to last a day! haha We usually use the recipe in the Commonsense Cook Book, I'll have to give yours a go! I now it will definately be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete